Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Independence Day

This is an article on people with disabilities who have come across in my life. The person I am going to tell about first is the one who was at our house even before I was born. She was deaf and dumb. My grandmother had kept her at our house. She did all the household work. Because of her I had learnt sign language. Next is the person whom I saw when I was in school. He had no legs just 2 feet. He stayed at an auto stop and many a times he helped auto wallahs in getting passenger. Next is a man I saw in train. He could not walk straight and his legs shaked while walking. But with this problem also he sold items in train and made his living. In our college there was a girl in architecture who didn’t have one hand and still she was the best designer in her batch. Infact here at Infosys BBSR I saw a girl with one hand, she had come up for an Akansha event. Akansha is the social initiative group here and she helped in making batches. This is the most recent one when I had gone to Kanya Kumari and I saw an old man who had gone there with his family. His one leg was artificial and it was really commendable that even with such a problem he had traveled all the way to visit Vivekanand's rock at Kanya Kumari.

These are the people who even being disabled in a way have done something for living. It really makes me feel bad when people having all the parts beg at various places, especially small kids. So this Independence day I hope that one day beggars will be gone from India.

What would be your wish this Independence day?

No comments: